Thursday, February 11, 2010

Jury Duty...follow up

Well I did my duty as a citizen. The day before you are suppose to show for jury duty you have to call a number and make sure your group is called. When I called the number it said that I needed to call back the following day at 11AM to see if I would be needed. So I did, and of course I had to go.

So I had to drive down town, park my car, take a shuttle and then arrive at the courthouse. I checked in at 1 and then sat around doing my word searches because the gas station I went to to buy a magazine didn't have anything interesting I wanted to read so I got a word search...I felt like I was 70, but I did enjoy it. I sat around for about an hour when they called my name to head up to a courtroom.

Getting to the courtroom and there were about 45 of us up there that went in and had to answer all of their questions and then tell them what we do for a living, what our spouse does for a living, how many kids we have, what our hobbies are, what books we like to read, and what is interesting about us. then we took a 40 minute break for them to decide their jury. I had a feeling I was going to get picked...I just knew it. The dude on trial kept staring at me and making me feel really uncomfortable. He was creepy looking.

Once we got back in they picked their people, and I was not one of them :) so a word of advice if they start asking questions don't answer. The people that got chosen for the jury were the ones that kept voicing their opinions and saying "Oh yeah that happened to me." I just sat there and didn't say anything. I answered the questions honestly but I guess my life isn't really that dramatic.

The guy was being charged with stabbing a police officer. I am glad that his jail time wasn't something that I had to judge.

1 comment:

Brody and Jen said...

So crazy, you are the only person I know who has done that. People in AZ get called a lot more for jury duty because there are more criminal in AZ. j/k